NEW HORIZON OPERATIONS MANAGER
The Board of New Horizon is seeking a gifted individual who is sympathetic to the ethos in line with the core values of New Horizon, and who is excited by this vision to serve with us as our next Operations Manager. Our purpose statement is:
New Horizon exists to be used by God, through the power of His Spirit to inspire a selfless surrender to His Son, a radical obedience to His Word, an enduring passion for His Kingdom and an unconditional love for His World.
Since 1989, New Horizon has been running a refreshing, challenging and relevant ministry week in Coleraine including Evening Celebrations, morning Bible Teaching, Seminars and youth and children’s programmes. It is one of the largest Christian events in Ireland, involving approximately 5000 people daily over the course of the week. We are intentionally transdenominational and pan-evangelical, seeking unity in Christ and the core of the gospel, accepting diversity around it and creating space to learn together from Scripture.
One of the amazing distinctives of New Horizon is that a body of over 400 volunteers deliver it. They are coordinated by a Management Team, most of whom devote their time to leading their areas on a voluntary basis. This team consists of people with responsibilities in eleven areas: Site; Stewarding/Health & Safety; Prayer Ministry; Accessibility, Mission; Media; Finance; Seminars; Youth and Children’s Programme; Technical; and Hospitality.
The Operations Manager is responsible to the Board and leads the Management Team. The Board sets the vision for the event and shapes its outworking each year. The main responsibility of the role of the Operations Manager is to ensure that the team of volunteers who serve in New Horizon can deliver the event safely and with excellence to the glory of God and in service of others. The Operations Manager is also responsible for the Part-Time Administrator who runs the New Horizon Office.
An opportunity exists to meet the present post holder* for an informal discussion on what the job entails, if desired. This may be arranged by contacting email@example.com . Should you choose to avail of an informal discussion, please be aware that it will have no impact on the outcome of the recruitment process.
Please send the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including ‘Operations Manager Job – Private’ in the subject line, noon on Friday 30 September 2022.
- A covering letter telling us why you want to work with New Horizon, demonstrating how you match the person specification, and how you meet the criteria listed in the job description, supported with relevant examples from your experience
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae.
First round of interviews will take place during the week commencing Monday 10 October 2022. Please indicate if you will be unavailable for any of these dates.
Please note the selection panel reserve the right to implement desirable criteria for the purposes of shortlisting.
Location: Home-based, involving travel across Northern Ireland (access to a car, with business cover insurance, is essential).
Responsible to: Chair of the New Horizon Board.
Hours of Work: The working patterns for this role must be flexible given the nature of the New Horizon event. The job is expected to take an average of 10 hours per week across the year with some hours necessarily being during normal working hours and others in evenings and at weekends. The actual hours worked in a given week will also vary greatly across the year. During the off season, September to January fewer hours are likely to be necessary, with weekly hours increasing as the event approaches.
The holder must be available throughout the week of the New Horizon event during the following hours: 08.30-14.00 and 18.00-22.30. During the preceding week, the post holder must also be available to help coordinate set up of the site.
Term of the Contract: Three years subject to satisfactory completion of a six-month probation period, with the option of extension for up to a further three years, dependant on the status of the role and the organisation.
Remuneration: Currently set (pro rata) in line with the NJC payscale 25 for Senior Officer level 1 and will be increased in line with the scale. All reasonable expenses incurred in the course of the role will also be remunerated.
Self Employed Contract: While it is envisaged that this role would be subject to a Contract of Employment, the option of a Self Employed Contract is an option and can be discussed at interview stage.
Start Date: To be confirmed and including a handover period with the existing Operations Manager.
This post is subject to an occupational requirement that the post holder is a committed evangelical Christian under Part 1 of Schedule 9 to the Equality Act 2010.
- Work with the Board to develop and implement a Strategic Plan for New Horizon to determine the shape and scope of future annual events and other potential ministry streams so that its mission is worked out effectively within the values and Statement of Faith of New Horizon Ministries
- Lead an annual review of the activities of New Horizon to inform the annual report and to ensure that the Strategic Plan is being implemented effectively.
- Inspire, guide and support members of the Management Team in their areas of responsibility, helping them work within the New Horizon values and mission and fulfil their responsibilities effectively.
- Provide pastoral oversight and direction to the Management Team in line with the Basis of Faith of New Horizon Ministries and leading them in prayer and devotions.
- Oversee the work of the Administrator, providing direction and support in the running of the New Horizon office.
- Oversee the work of the Media Coordinator, providing direction and support in the management of all publicity and communications for New Horizon.
- Keep up to date with any legislative changes that will affect the running of the event and New Horizon as a charity.
- Ensure the Board is kept up to date on legal, policy and compliance issues.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are kept up to date.
- Oversee the selection process for event support services including but not limited to the Café, Bookshop and Technical Services.
- Review insurance cover for New Horizon.
- Ensure the effective management of the Health and Safety functions of the event with the relevant third parties.
- Manage costs of the event and work with the Board and Management Team to maximise income and ensure resources are stewarded well.
- Manage liaison with the owners and managers of the site for the event.
- Contribute to the Mainstage Planning Team in planning activities in the main New Horizon venue.
- Ensure effective production management of the event, including good communication between the Mainstage Planning Team and operations and enabling Management Team members and their teams to deliver their parts of the event as planned.
- Ensure that online and in-person elements of New Horizon are effectively integrated around New Horizon’s values and mission in a mutually enriching way.
- Participate ex officio in meetings of the NH Board to facilitate two-way communication between Board and Management Team, to update the Board on the Management Team event planning, and to advise the Board on any operational issues requiring Board approval.
Our Operations Manager must be committed to the mission and beliefs of New Horizon, demonstrating Christian convictions and character and fitting with the culture of New Horizon as well as being competent in management. Able to focus on the detail as well as seeing the big picture, she/he must be flexible and gracious enough to deal with the dynamic environment of a large event.
Management experience within a Christian charity or church, leading a team of volunteers and organising large events would be ideal, but we are also keen to hear from people with relevant transferable skills.
Character and Skills
- Agreement with New Horizon’s Statement of Faith and passion for its vision and work.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and proficiency in electronic communications.
Knowledge and Qualifications
- Full UK driving licence and access to a car with full insurance, including business cover, for use on New Horizon business.
- Knowledge of the landscape and culture of churches in Northern Ireland.
- Basic understanding of legislation and policies concerning charities.
- Degree level qualification in management or related discipline.
- Experience in an Operations Management role
- Qualification in health and safety.
Experience and Skills
- Organisational skills – proven ability to plan, set priorities, meet deadlines and perform under pressure.
- Strategic thinking – proven ability to develop a strategy to deliver a vision, ensuring consistency of short-term actions with long-term goals.
- Event management – proven ability to coordinate resources and people in order to deliver an event safely, effectively and within budget.
- People management – proven ability to initiate, build and maintain positive long-term relationships with others, to form a team and to motivate, empower and support its members to fulfil their roles.
- Financial Control – proven ability in the management of budgets, controlling costs and maximising income.
- Experience working in a church or charity.
- Experience organising large events.
- Experience ensuring compliance with policies relating to health and safety.